For the past 3 years, the weather has been really messed up. Winter was much longer and cooler this year than usual. Like last year, we had a long winter, with only couple weeks of Spring-like weather, and then suddenly it was Summer. This month it's been like that, but with very cool nights. It's hard to know what to expect each week. But for now, this week will be sunny or cloudy, and I plan on logging as many hours of gardening as I can after work each day!
So here's what I have achieved over the past 4-5 weeks:
1) Weeded nearly a third the yard (by hand- pulling tall weeds up by the roots!)
2) Cast clover seeds all over the yard. Clover makes a great living mulch!
3) Cut the grass - the ENTIRE yard!
4) Planted: purple, yellow, and regular sweet potatoes, a variety of colored and regular potatoes, corn, edamame, pumpkins, Japanese cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, Italian Roma paste tomatoes, Italian cherry tomatoes, yellow/orange/red/black cherry tomatoes, sunflowers, basil, various lettuces, cauliflower and broccoli, sati-imo potatoes, green and yellow zucchini, spaghetti squash, okra, goya (bitter gourd), 2 sizes of hyoutan (bottle gourds) and hechima (sponge gourd), watermelons, green melons, yellow melons, red melons, ginger and myouga (not sure how to translate this one).
5) Built a new Hugelkultur flower bed, and started another Hugelkultur bed that needs to be topped with soil and planted.
6) Planted a flowering tree.
7) Starting laying out markers for raised flower beds at the foundation of the house. Measured some wood for cutting. Hoping this can be built this week!